Our Mission Is to Provide Play for All!
Adaptive Play: Sensory-Friendly Nights
Adaptive Play: Sensory-Friendly Nights at Kidzu aim to bring families together to learn through play in an environment that supports the unique needs of children with ASD and/or sensory differences.
These exclusive events include the following modifications:
- Limited registration to promote a less crowded environment
- COOL DOWN KITS: Packed with noise-canceling headphones, fidget toys, sand timers, and weighted items to assist with transitions and self-regulation
- Social Narrative – written from a visitor point of view, to provide a visual story about what to expect at Kidzu (available to read prior to your visit by clicking here)
- Visual Schedules with images from each Kidzu exhibit to promote independence in decision-making and assist with transitions
- Dedicated Kidzu staff members and volunteers that are eager to assure a welcoming, safe, and supportive learning environment
Cool Down Kits
When things get overwhelming, pick up a Cool Down Kit at the front desk. They include items like headphones, fidget toys, sand timers, weighted neck wraps, bubbles, and more!
Cool Down Kits, Social Narratives, and Visual Schedules are also made available to visitors at all times when Kidzu is open. See a member of the Kidzu team if you think these items will be helpful to you and your family while visiting our space.
To register for one of Kidzu’s Adaptive Play: Sensory Friendly Nights, visit the Town of Chapel Hill website and search for “Adapted Recreation” programming. Pre-registration is required.
For children and families with specific needs that may not be met within this program – we encourage you to reach out. Kidzu Children’s Museum is here for every child in our community and beyond. Private play times for at-risk children are available on an as-needed basis. Reach out to our Visitor Services Director for more information.
Your feedback is what drives our mission! We welcome and encourage participants’ feedback on every aspect of our sensory-friendly programming. Reach out via email – email@example.com